TASC Middle Level
State Annual Conference
Friday, Nov. 21 - Saturday, Nov. 22, 2014
For Student Council and NJHS members and advisors
San Marcos Embassy Suites and Conference Center
1001 East McCarty Lane, San Marcos | Ph: (512) 392-6450
Join middle level leaders from all over Texas at the 2014 Middle Level Annual Conference. The State Annual Conference will be held November 21-22 at the Embassy Suites Hotel and Conference Center. Conference check-in will be Friday, November 21 from 4:00-7:00 p.m. with the Opening General Session beginning at 7:30 p.m. that evening. The event will conclude by 4:00 p.m. on Saturday, November 22.
Schools may attend for both days or for one day only.
- Featured Presenters: The keynote speaker: TBD. There will also be an excellent presentation from Camfel Productions. There are also many sessions led by leaders from across the state. Apply to lead a session if you have a great idea or program!
- Students may attend a concurrent sessions and discussion groups designed to develop leadership skills as well as school and community engagement presented by outstanding high school and middle level student councils and TASC Leadership Consultants from around the state as well as a social (dance or movie).
- Advisors may attend training specific to the middle level advisor.
- 2014 Conference Coordinator School: TBD.
ON SITE REGISTRATION WILL BE AVAILABLE.
Tentative Conference Schedule:
Friday, November 21, 2014
4:00 - 7:30 Registration/Exhibits/Bookstore
6:30 - 7:15 Advisors Meeting with Hotel Staff and TASC Director
7:30 - 9:00 Opening General Session
9:30 - 11:45 Dance or Movie (All advisors are expected to chaperone.)
Saturday, November 22, 2014
8:00 - 9:00 Registration
8:00 - 2:30 Exhibits/Bookstore
9:00 - 11:15 Advisor and Student Sessions
11:15 - 12:45 Lunch on your own
12:50 - 2:30 Advisor and Student Sessions
2:30 - 4:00 Closing General Session
The full program will be posted when ready..
- The conference registration fee is $___ per student or advisor attending for registrations postmarked on or before October ___. Please note: REGISTRATION POSTMARKED AFTER OCTOBER ___ WILL BE $5 MORE PER PERSON FOR A TOTAL OF $_)__ PER PERSON REGISTERED. If you have a question, contact Lori at 512-443-2100 ext. 257 or via email.
- Pre-Registration and Refund Deadline is October ___: As a bonus for registering early,
T-shirts are provided to schools whose payment is received by the pre-registration deadline.
- Late Registration after the October ___ postmarked deadline is $___. Conference T-shirts are NOT provided for registration after October .
- Onsite registration fee is $__. Conference t-shirts are NOT provided for those who register onsite.
- Cancellation Policy: PRE-REGISTRATION AND REFUND DEADLINE IS OCTBER ___. TASC has a no refund policy for cancellations after October. ___.
- Please note TASC dress code explained below.
- Student delegation size: unlimited.
Conference Hotel: Embassy Suites
- Reservations may be made by calling either the hotel directly at 512-392-6450 or to Embassy Suites Brand Reservations at 1-800-EMBASSY. Individuals must identify themselves as being with the TASC Middle level Conference organization at the time the reservation is made in order to receive the group rate. The conference rate is $134.00 for a King Non-Smoking Suite and $134 for a Double Queen Non-Smoking. Room rates are quoted per night
- In previous years, the room block sold out early and most likely will again. Make your hotel reservations early to lock in the $134 (plus tax) price. TASC will secure special rates at nearby hotels if needed. NOTE: Transportation from overflow hotels to the Embassy Suites Conference Center is not available.
- Please note that the Embassy Suites at San Marcos offers suites. There are suites with two queen sized beds and a sofa bed as well as suites with one king sized bed and a sofa bed. Breakfast is included in the price of the hotel room. There is a breakfast area that seats over 200; students may also take breakfast back to their rooms.
- All rooms contain a refrigerator and a microwave. Caffeina (the hotel restaurant) will be stocked with extra fast food sandwiches, chips, and sodas during peak lunch times, and there will be a kiosk selling food at reasonable for lunch on Saturday.
- There is no fee for parking, and the parking lot accommodates buses easily.
- There are numerous fast food restaurants in the area, and the Outlet Mall is a five to seven minute drive from the hotel. There are free shuttles to and from the Outlet Mall, but they are probably not sufficient for travel at lunch.
- The hotel houses a heated pool, a fitness room, and a spa.
- Parking is free, and the large open lots are easy access for vans and buses.
- Please take your tax exempt form.
Overflow Hotel: TBD
Ask for TASC Conference rate. Please note: There is no transportation provided between the tbd and the Embasy Suites.
San Marcos Area Attractions
Advisors will assume full responsibility for their student delegations during the conference, It is extremely important that all advisors accept full responsibility for their groups. TASC will not chaperone individual students and rooms. At least one sponsor from each school attending the conference is expected to meet with TASC staff and representatives of the hotel to review the conference and hotel’s guest and security policies. This meeting will be held on Friday prior to the Opening General Session.
TASC recognizes middle level advisors for years of service to student council and in TASC. Service pins are awarded at 5 year intervals (5, 10, 15, 20, and 25 years). Retiring advisors who have served as an advisor for 5 or more years are also recognized and awarded a plaque. These recognitions take place during the business meeting at the Middle Level State Conference. In order to be recognized with a service pin or retiring plaque, advisors must submit a completed recognition form which can be found under the awards tab on the TASC homepage.
A highlight of the event is the variety of school-led workshop sessions on Saturday morning. More than 40 topics will be available for student delegates to experience.
High school or middle level school student councils interested in leading a discussion group at the conference should submit the 2014 ML Workshop Proposal. High school groups that present at the conference do not need to register, they but must be accompanied by an advisor and are responsible for their own travel and housing arrangements. High school groups are expected to observe curfew hours.
Student leaders should be very aware of the impact of personal appearance, and their grooming should be above average.
Middle Level and High School Annual Conferences and District Conventions/Conferences:
TASC Dress Code Approved January 27, 2014
· Jeans/pants and t-shirts are highly encouraged as the primary dress.
· Shorts are NOT permitted at TASC conferences or workshops held during the school year.
· Shorts are permitted at summer programs, but must be no shorter than three inches above the TOP of the kneecap.
· Skirts/dresses are permitted at all events but must be no shorter than three inches above the TOP of the kneecap.
· All tops must have sleeves. Tops/dresses at any state TASC event may not be strapless or have spaghetti straps, and no undergarments can be visible.
· Caps or hats are not to be worn when inside a building.
· This dress code may be modified for performers at TASC events. Costumes must be approved by a conference committee.
· TASC/TASC Districts retain the right to enforce a specified dress code for events outside the TASC state calendar.
The conference registration fee does not include any meals. However, the Embassy Suites includes a breakfast for those registered at the Embassy Suites.